Thursday, July 26, 2012

Things I don't believe in...

I don't normally link to other people's blogs, but I came across a great post today that made me say "Yes!"

For some reason, there's a general belief around that handicrafts are a good industry for disadvantaged people (especially trafficked women) to get into. I've always been perplexed by this. There's nothing wrong with handicrafts, and I am sure there are people all around the world who are interested in careers in the industry. But some trafficked women would prefer to go to university. Or get into hospitality. Or marketing. Or work in a factory. Or finish high school. Or...

So while there's nothing inherently wrong with handicrafts, there's also nothing inherent about people in poverty that makes handicrafts a good career choice for them.

Today I stumbled across this blog post - Things I don't believe in: Handicraft projects and wanted to share it, as it's the first time I have found someone who I agree with on this topic!

2 comments:

Steve Jackson said...

Agreed.

banh trung thu kinh do said...

This is a great post