Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The train is rolling south

My last blog mentioned a young boy addicted to heroin, “Binh,” who has made the decision to go into rehab. We’ve worked with him for a long time now, and seen him through the highs and the lows. Knowing that Binh is trying to make a real change to his life has got to be the greatest news we’ve had so far this year.

As I write this, Binh is on a train with one of our staff members, heading south to the best treatment facility we could find in Vietnam.

However – this will be my last entry about him for a while. I don’t want to make his rehabilitation a public spectacle, and as much as I want to share with the world the joys and sorrows of what we do, I do feel a responsibility to keep this matter private. I look forward, though, to making some occasional updates with good news…

I need to ask for financial support to make this a success. We are currently committed to a treatment program that will include psychological counselling, medical intervention (Binh’s liver is shot to pieces) and ongoing support from our Hanoi staff – even though the treatment is to take place in Ho Chi Minh City!

We are looking at a cost of about $300 US per month for the next 6 months. Any of our regular readers who have a particular interest in drug rehab – this is your chance to get involved! Please do email me if you’d like to help us out in this case… bluedragon@bdcf.org

And as always, thanks to all of you out there in Blogland. I do appreciate your support.